Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Spicy Green Tomato Chutney | Tomatokayi Chutney with Garlic

When I see the green tomatoes I think of this Chutney/Dip. When everyone look for ripe red tomatoes in the packed Tomato bags at the super market, I pick the bags that have one or two raw/green tomatoes so I can make this chutney. This is again my mother's recipe that I follow blindly :-) I love to eat it with hot steaming rice with a dollop of ghee on top. It also tastes great with idli, dose, akki rotti, or Chapati.



Prep Time: 5 mins | Cooking time:5 mins
Recipe Type:  Chutney | Dip
Recipe Source: My mother

Ingredients:
2 Green raw tomatoes
1 Onion
4-5 cloves of garlic
1 tsp of Cumin seeds
3-4 Green chillies
1 tsp grated Jaggery  or Sugar
Salt to taste
Oil: 1 tbsp

Method:

1. Roughly chop tomatoes, onion, garlic and green chillies.

2. Heat oil in a pan and add cumin seeds, when it splutters add garlic, green chillies and onions and saute for 2-3 minutes.

3. Mix in chopped tomatoes and fry for 2 more minutes.  Turn off the flame and let the mixture cool down completely.



4. Put the cooled mixture in a mixer jar, add jaggery and salt and grind to a paste. Keep it slighlty coarse.

5. Serve with rice as a side dish with a dollop of ghee.


Notes:
1. You can add a tempering of mustard seeds, dry red chillies and hing on top for added flavors.



No comments:

Post a Comment